Rabbi Dov Yehuda Schochet
דוב יהודה ב"ר מאיר שמריהוRav, The Hague, Netherlands
Date of Death:
Wed. September 18, 1974 -
Tishrei 7 5735
Aseres Yemei Teshuvah
Anyone with biographical information is asked to please send it in.
See CONTACT page for details. Thank you.
Directions to Kever: Lambton Mills Cemetery in Toronto, Canada. Section: Shaarei Tefillah – Ostrovitzer Synagogue
Note: Special thanks to Circus Tent “theantitzemach.blogspot.com” for picture origination.
Rabbi Dov Yehuda Schochet zt”l was born in 1905 in Telšiai (Telshe, Telz) Lithuania. He was one of the most distinguished talmidim of the Telshe yeshiva, chosen by his Rebbe Muvhak, Rabbi Yosef Leib Bloch zt”l, to be one of the yeshiva’s delegates to the second Knessiah Gedolah. He was one of the very few talmidim of R’ Yosef Leib who was not a family member who participated in compiling his rebbe’s Shiurei Da’as for publication. He served as rabbi in Basel, Switzerland from 1930 until 1947, and from 1947 to 1952 he served as chief rabbi of The Hague and the adjacent regional towns, in the Netherlands. Rabbi Schochet, his Rebbitzen Sarah (nee Musensohn, a scion of one of the most illustrious families in Lithuania) and their ten children then emigrated to Toronto, where Rabbi Schochet served as a Rav and Mechanech until his petirah in 1974 (5735). While in Toronto he became close to the Lubavitcher Rebbe zt”l (whose personal secretary, Rabbi Chaim Mordechai Hodakov zt”l, was Rabbi Schochet’s sister’s husband). Rabbi Schochet and his wife are buried in the Ostrovtzer cemetery, the cemetery of the first shul in which he served in Toronto, Anshei Ostrovtzer. Many of Rabbi and Mrs. Schochet’s children and grandchildren are leading Rabbonim, Roshei Yeshiva and Talmidei Chachamim throughout the Jewish world.
Source: Yosef Gavriel Bechhofer